This past weekend on November 29th was the 5th annual Turks and Caicos CONCH FESTIVAL – and was it ever a hit!
Highlights of this annual event here in the Turks & Caicos included:
- the beachfront setting including being right on the sand and having a view of the incredibly aqua colored water
- the interesting mix of local people, expats who live on the island and visitors/tourists
- the Conch tasting contest/competition where all of the top restaurants on the island came out to show off their very best of Conch salad, conch chowder and ‘specialty’ conch dish. This contest was judged by professionals from the US and winners received cash prizes of $1000 and a prize glazed conch trophy. People’s choice was Harbor Club for the 3rd year in a row!!! Speciality dishes anything from minced conch, conch in a blanket, stewed conch, jerk conch, curry conch and lots lots more.
- music from the live band ‘Shocking Vibes’ who provided toe-tapping music entertainment – you couldn’t stop yourself from swaying to the beat (or maybe that was from the bacardi mojitoes?
- official launch of a new rum in the Turks & Caicos Islands, called Bambara (white and gold availble for tasting)
- a local ‘Junkanoo’ festival where masqueraders beat island drums on the street and blew horns, everyone had a chance to chip and sway along
- the best island bartender on the island where the top guys and girls served up fancy drinks on the beach while displaying their tricks (buddy with the 10 cans of juices topped with a glass of mojito on his head while mixing his drink was very entertaining indeed!)
- Guest appearances was made by Ms. Turks & Caicos, and even SANTA!
- The dude who was pulling the conch out of the shells and cleaning them right on the beach was really cool to see.
All in all, this Turks and Caicos event was a great excuse to come here on vacation. With an excellent mix of good fun, food, local authenticity, charm and hospitality, I look forward to the next year’s celebration!